Day-in-the-Life with a Visual Content Creator
Welcome to Day-in-the-Life – a blog series to show you the process and workflow of successful content creators in managing visual social media.
We caught up with graphic designer and visual content creator Sian Richardson of Fresh by Sian to see how she manages her visual media strategy for her business, multiple social accounts, and clients.
Day-in-the-Life: Sian Richardson
What does your average day look like?.
At the moment, I’m living with my family in my hometown in New Zealand so I don’t really have an ‘office’. Basically, any table in the house is my office. I try to get out and work at cafes as much as I can too but this usually involves a whole day out since the town I live in is pretty small and there isn’t much in the way of cafes or co-work spaces.
This is what my average day looks like at the moment:
- 8-9am | Wake up, shower, breakfast! It’s winter here at the moment, so I tend to sleep in a bit more.
- 9-10am | Quick hour of work usually sorting out emails and doing any smaller to-do’s.
- 10am-12pm | Gym time! I’ve been going to the gym regularly since about November, and I love it. It’s probably my favourite part of my day at the moment.
- 12pm-1.30pm | Lunch break, usually involves watching some Ben Brown or Casey Neistat on YouTube.
- 2pm-5pm | Work! This could be anything from client work to working on my own business.
- 5pm onwards | Usually involves all or some of the following: Chasing sunsets, exploring, Netflixing, brainstorming ideas, and working on my own business.
I love that I can upload straight from my computer using Latergramme, then post it when I’m ready.Sian Richardson
What’s your creative process for the channels you manage?
- Instagram | A mix of scheduled posts that relate to a blog article I’ve written or a product I’ve launched, but for the most part they’re photos of my life. Some are current, and some are from adventures I’ve had in the past.
- Facebook | I use Facebook to promote posts that are too long for Instagram, but not enough for an entire email or a blog post.
- Blog | I have a whole stack of ideas and half-finished posts sitting in my Evernote. Sometimes I’ll write out a bunch of ideas, or an outline for a post, then leave it for a few days and come back to it to see how I feel about it. From there I’ll refine the post some more (if I decide to publish it) and then I send it to my VA to proof, and post!
- Mailing List | Usually this is the same as my blog content, sometimes with some exclusive content thrown into the mix.
What role does Latergramme play in your strategy?
Pretty much all of my Instagram content goes through Latergramme! A lot of the stuff I post has been edited on my desktop; I love that I can upload straight from my computer and post it when I’m ready.
Want to schedule and manage your Instagram posts?
Latergramme is here to help!
Social media can be a 24/7 job, how do you ensure balance?
I try to batch stuff as much as I can, so I might set aside a few hours or a day a week to schedule social media and blog content, for the upcoming week or two. This way it’s all sorted and it’s not something I have to think about on a daily basis.
What do you love about your job?
Being able to do whatever I want. I’m a textbook Sagittarius, so freedom is pretty much my middle name. Meeting and working with people from all over the world.
Anything you couldn’t live without?
Sunglasses. Pen. Paper. Cameras. My people.
Must-have social media tools?
Any advice for a budding visual content creator or someone who’s looking to break into the industry?
Experiment! Be wary of advice. Take it with a grain of salt, and put your own spin on it. I think a massive part of creativity is willingness to switch things up. Everything that’s ever been done could be better. Keep going… Keep testing… Keep experimenting!
What are a few Instagram accounts you’d recommend following?.
I’ve got a pretty eclectic bunch of favorites.
- @carlzoch – Awesome photographer and an adventure dude
- @circa_1983 – His photos are insane
- @theglitchmob – I’m obsessed with these guys, and love everything they do
Want to schedule and manage your Instagram posts? Latergramme is here to help!
Header image by Sian Richardson via Fresh by Sian