How 4 Publishers Use Instagram to Drive Traffic to Their Site
Whether it’s using strong call-to-actions (CTAs) in their Instagram Stories or optimizing the link in their bio, publishers are driving traffic through Instagram in creative ways.
In the following post, we’ll take a look at different features publishers use to drive clicks to their websites, along with four strategies you can try right now.
Table of Contents
- 3 Ways Publishers Can Drive Traffic Through Instagram
- 4 Traffic-driving Strategies for Publishers on Instagram
- Summary: Best Practices for Driving Traffic Through Instagram
3 Ways Publishers Can Drive Traffic Through Instagram
As a publisher, building a community of readers is integral to your publication’s success.
And while Instagram is great for growing a following and reaching new audiences, there are limited opportunities to send users to other platforms or sites.
Here are three ways to drive traffic to your content:
#1: Link in Bio
The link in your Instagram bio is the most effective way to drive traffic from Instagram — and for good reason!
It’s available to everyone, regardless of follower count, and can be a one-stop shop for sending followers to a blog post, web page, or Youtube video.
To capitalize on this feature, we recommend using a link in bio tool that lets you share multiple links from one easy-to-navigate landing page.
With Linkin.bio by Later, you can build a clickable version of your Instagram feed, along with the option to add customizable button links:
When followers click the link in your bio, they’ll be able to tap on any image or button and be directed straight to the links you’ve added.
This could be a breaking news article, an ongoing video series, or your latest interview.
The takeaway? With Linkin.bio you can drive even more traffic through Instagram — in an easy, streamlined way.
Make the most of your bio and start using Linkin.bio by Later. Join today and turn your feed into a clickable landing page!
#2: Instagram Stories
Instagram Stories make for a great traffic-driving tool. Why?
They allow publishers to interact with their followers on a more intimate level — whether it’s leveraging poll stickers or showing real-time tutorials like FLARE:
Publishers can drive traffic through Instagram Stories by:
- Adding swipe-up links (or the new Instagram Stories link sticker). This is the easiest tool if you have over 10K followers.
- Linking to an IGTV video with clickable links in the video description. You can use this hack even if you have less than 10K followers!
- Including clear call-to-actions (CTAs), GIFs, graphics, and text to encourage your community to click the link in your bio.
NOTE: Instagram is currently testing giving accounts with under 10K followers access to the Instagram Stories link sticker — so watch this space and we’ll keep you posted.
#3: IGTV Video Descriptions
Unlike Instagram feed posts and Reels, IGTV video descriptions can include clickable links — making it one of our favorite traffic-driving hacks.
Through IGTV video descriptions, viewers can easily click the URL of your choice.
Plus, you can add a swipe up link to an IGTV video in stories and you don’t need 10K followers to do it!
Here’s how to add a swipe-up link to your Instagram Story using IGTV:
- Record a video (between 15 seconds and 10 minutes in length) and upload to IGTV, adding a link to the video description.
- Create an Instagram story of your IGTV video. Add a clear CTA that encourages viewers to swipe up and click the small arrow next to your IGTV video title to discover your link.
- Select the link icon at the top of the stories screen and select “IGTV video.” Your IGTV video will now be directly accessible via a swipe up link from your Instagram story.
Learn everything you need to know about IGTV in our Ultimate Guide to IGTV.
4 Traffic-driving Strategies for Publishers on Instagram
Now that you know the tools for driving traffic through Instagram, it’s time to see how you can strategically maximize your linking opportunities.
Learn how to drive traffic through Instagram just like the pros. We’re spotlighting four publishers who know a thing or two about generating clicks — each with their own style:
1. Maximize Your Link in Bio like SUITCASE Magazine
Using a mix of lifestyle photos and long-form captions, SUITCASE encourages their community to find travel guides, hotel round-ups, and so much more via the link in their bio.
They also maximize the customizable button to drive traffic to their subscriptions page — full of bundle options, carry-on kits, or single issues delivered right to your door.
SUITCASE’s combination of persuasive storytelling, clear CTAs, and stunning photography helps their audience discover various pieces of content — with just the click of a button!
Turn Instagram into a traffic-driver for your content with Later’s Linkin.bio feature — available for free!
2. Launch an IGTV Series with Clickable Links like CRWNMAG
As we mentioned earlier, IGTV descriptions are one of the few places (aside from your bio) where you can include clickable links on Instagram.
However, as they’re tucked away behind a tiny arrow, they can be hard for users to find.
One way to address this is to create a compelling video series that will encourage viewers to watch through, and then remind them to tap the arrow to find mentioned links and tags.
CRWNMAG’s series “Tuesdays with Ashley” features videos where viewers are introduced to various creative activities — whether it’s recipes or the art of plating.
Many of the IGTV descriptions link back to CRWNMAG’s website, with opportunities to buy their latest magazine, journal, or print.
Need help creating an IGTV series? Check out How to Create Your Own IGTV Series in 2021
3. Drive Traffic Through Instagram Stories Highlights like Out Magazine
Instagram Stories Highlights are an easy way for publishers to promote and drive clicks to their articles.
By curating feature articles into different Highlights, publishers like Out Magazine ensure their stories live on forever (not just for 24 hours).
Using easy-to-understand categories, new and current followers can find the articles they’re interested in — and revisit them whenever they want!
For even more Instagram Stories tips, bookmark this post: 9 Ways to Drive Traffic with Instagram Stories
4. Use Reels for Viral Reach like i-D
Instagram Reels are a huge growth hack for their ability to get thousands (and in some cases, millions) of views — completely organically.
By leveraging Instagram’s newest feature, publishers can reach new audiences by pairing scroll-stopping video content with a strong CTA in their caption — driving viewers to their owned platforms.
i-D Magazine successfully tapped into this tactic and frequently posts engaging Reels that include CTAs to learn more on their YouTube channel, IGTV channel, Instagram Stories, or website.
6 Best Practices for Driving Traffic Through Instagram
Here’s a summary of our tried-and-true tips:
- Write persuasive CTAs that drive to the link in your bio.
- Use a link in bio tool to maximize your linking opportunities.
- Use Instagram Stories Highlights to package stories that drive the most clicks.
- Create engaging Reels (hello, viral videos!) that’ll convert to clicks.
- Create IGTV content and remind viewers they can find your links in the video description.
- Use a mix of Instagram’s features to repurpose content and drive traffic: Stories, feed posts, Reels, IGTV, Guides.
Armed with the above best practices, you too can drive serious traffic through Instagram and increase views on your site.
Give these publishing strategies a go, and watch your community (and clicks) soar!
ICYMI: With Linkin.bio, you can build a clickable Instagram feed and send followers to multiple web or product pages. Sign up today!